Friday, February 27, 2009

From the Games - Stuart Lodge

Goals for China:
1. Experience Chinese culture
2. Have a great racing experience
3. Get to know every one on the team

Goals after Thursday 19th 2009
1. Stay Alive
2. Survive a Chinese hospital
3. Experience Chinese culture

Like most athletes at these games my experience started much the same. Long flights, cold weather and great service. On Thursday February 19th, my trip took a dramatic turn for the worse. That afternoon I got a fever - No problem, I’ll take a rest day and be fine. The next day I was rushed to the hospital in Harbin with chest pain and a fever. After numerous X-rays, CT-scans, and blood tests it was determined that I had pneumonia.

Facing this news, you could imagine I was scared. Amazingly, a night in a Chinese hospital was much better than one might think. With two translators, numerous doctors, and countless nurses, I was treated to first class service. Four days and nights I spent under constant monitoring. Being the only athlete from the Games in the hospital, I received numerous visits from Chinese television and newspapers. It was quite something to be visited and interviewed everyday.

After my hospital stay, I was able to visit the city of Harbin. Experiencing Chinese culture, I realized that my stay in the hospital allowed me to witness parts of China that not everyone sees. Now back at the biathlon venue, I am able to watch the last of the races and meet up with my fellow biathletes.

This trip definitely didn’t turn out anything like I expected, but, I am able to realize that I still managed to take in a bit of China and have a generally positive experience at my first University Games. I’d like to thank all doctors and nurses that took good care of me and especially the Team Canada medical staff for all their hard work and attention.

A big shout out goes to the Long Track Speed Skating team for making me an honorary member.

Stuart Lodge - Team Canada Biathlon

No comments:

Post a Comment